1 stick unsalted butter
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 eggs for poaching
4 cups of frozen grated potatoes for making hash browns
salt and pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
8 slices of smoked salmon
1 tablespoon minced chives, for garnish
1. Heat butter in a small saucepan until melted.
2. In a blender, add the egg yolks, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and salt, and blend for 20-30 seconds on LOW.
3. While the blender is still going on low, remove the lid and and slowly add the hot butter to incorporate into the egg/lemon mixture, and keep blending, on low, for an additional 20-30 seconds until the sauce thickens.
4. Bring a medium pot of water to a simmer, then reduce heat until it is barely simmering. It should register 185°F on an instant-read thermometer. Carefully break 1 egg into a small bowl, then tip into a fine mesh strainer. Carefully swirl egg around strainer, using your finger to rub off any excess loose egg whites that drop through. Gently tip egg into water. Swirl gently with a wooden spoon for 10 seconds, just until egg begins to set. Repeat straining and tipping with remaining eggs. Cook, swirling occasionally, until egg whites are fully set but yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes.
Carefully lift eggs from pot with a slotted spoon. Pat dry on paper towel and serve immediately, or transfer to a bowl of cold water. To serve, transfer to a bowl of hot water and let reheat for 2 minutes then pat dry on paper towel.
5. For hash browns, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a non stick 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Divide hash browns into 4 even portions to form small patties and carefully space on skillet. Cook 5–7 minutes without turning. Season the uncooked side with salt and pepper in the pan. Drizzle with another 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Carefully flip hash browns. Cook another 4–6 minutes.
6. To assemble the Benedict, place a hash brown patty on a plate. Add 2 sliced of smoked salmon, top with poached egg, hollandaise sauce and minced chives to garnish. Serve with a lightly dressed mixed green salad and caper berries.